Thursday, July 27, 2017

A Rude Intrusion :: Day 18

This is my blog for day 18 of cancer treatment, Thursday, 27 Jul 2017.

Slept well, and was able to lay on my side without the feeding tube giving me too much discomfort. My radiation appointment is at 2:15 PM, today, as usual. It's treatment 14 of 35 (as I only get radiation M-F, not on the weekends). Will meet with the nurse and dietitian this afternoon after the treatment.

The inside of my mouth is really sore, along the right side, in the back, where the tumor is. Not so bad on the left. It's not terrible pain, but when I swallow it does "let me know it's there". Best way I know how to describe it. Dr Mohideen had suggested that I "puff my cheeks out" during radiation to keep "stray electrons" from burning the inside of my cheek, and I think it's actually working. That, and the Gelclair I use to soothe those tissues.

Came home from the radiation treatment with food to do tube feedings. Might have to get started with it as my throat is giving me a lot of trouble when I do eat. Had scrambled eggs twice today - those, at least, I can eat. But that's not going to keep up the calorie count I need to maintain my weight. Bummer.

Today's music comes in two parts: the record of, and the movie clip of Bing Crosby and Jane Wyman singing In the Cool, Cool, Cool of the Evening. The version on record is here. The video clip from the movie Here Comes the Groom is here. Music is by Hoagy Carmichael, lyrics are by Johnny Mercer. It's a classic, that it is!


For convenience sake, here a running list of all of the links I've posted to YouTube in the past few days:

According to Plan, Carolyn Arends - Link
And I Love Her - Link
Back In You Own Back Yard, Al Jolson - Link
Because We've Ended As Lovers, Larry Carlton & Steve Lukather - Link
Cross Road Blues, Robert Johnson Link
Crossroads, Eric Clapton and Cream Link
Groucho Movie Clips - Link
I Love Being Here With You, Diana Krall - Link
In the Cool, Cool, Cool of the Evening, Bing Crosby and Jane Wyman - Link
In the Cool, Cool, Cool of the Evening, Bing Crosby and Jane Wyman, from the movie Here Comes the Groom  - Link
Limbo Jazz, Coleman Hawkins and Duke Ellington - Link
Lookin' At The World Through A Windshield, Bill Kirchen - Link
My Funny Valentine, Kristin Chenoweth - Link
My Funny Valentine, Miles Davis - Link
On The Street Where You Live, Dean Martin - Link
Route 66, Asleep at The Wheel - Link
Shim, Sham, Shimmy (dance) to Tain't What You Do, Jimmy Lunceford - Link
St Louis Blues, Stephanie Trick & Paolo Alderighi - Link
Standing at the Crossroads, Elmore James - Link
Starts and Stripes Forever, United States Marine Band - Link
Sweet Georgia Brown, Wynton Marsalis/Mark O'Connor - Link
That's Jazz, Bing Crosby, Louis Armstrong & The All Stars - Link
Time to Blow, From That Thing You Do - Link
Zappa Medly, George Duke - Link

1 comment:

Sue Kelderhouse said...

Got caught up with your blog today. Had fallen behind on it for no good reason other than being distracted with various things. Glad it all seems to be going smoothly so far and you"ve been managing the discomfort okay. Odd about the first thing that tasted "funny" being tomato based. When I lost my sense of taste years ago with one of my RA drugs (which actually was an anti-cancer drug) I could not tolerate anything tomato-based as it had an intensely unpleasant metallic taste. Meant to tell you how much I love the Beau poem. He was a wonderful pup. Glad you're keeping your weight up. When we come back from up north (leave Sat.for 1 week) we'll have to go for some Culvers ice cream runs together. Will try and catch you on the phone tomorrow. Keep up the blogging - love reading it! S&P