Saturday, July 22, 2017

A Rude Intrusion :: Day 12

This is my blog for day 12 of cancer treatment, Friday, 21 Jul 2017.

Slept well last night, and woke to a barking puppy and soaking wet grass. We're supposed to get more rain, it seems, something we absolutely don't need. The water around my sister's house went down, came back up and now is down about four inches. They're still surrounded, but have little-to-no visible damage. In fact, she told me they still have their A/C running because Bill lifted the unit far off the ground a number of years ago, and the neighbors never have.

This is my last day of work, but not for retirement. I'm going on short-term disability (STD, though not to be confused with "sexually-transmitted disease", please) starting Monday. I have a few projects to do - like organizing our pictures, and other sit-down type activities; I'm looking forward to doing them.

Only doctor visit today is radiation. One of these times I'm going to actually fall asleep during treatment - all you do is come in and lie down on the machine's table, then get strapped in. Normally, I pray during treatment, especially for those who have far more serious diseases than I. Things long-term and life-ending. Mine is neither (or should be).

This weekend is the Open Championship, aka The British Open. I always like watching the majors, if just to see who takes charge and gets the job done. But the shot-making is often phenomenal as well. These professional golfers play a game I am not familiar with. What I find interesting about the television coverage is when some poor guy, who had been at the top of the leader board, is imploding - making horrible shots, decisions, et al - and the coverage simply never shows him through the end of the round. He is simply allowed to slide into oblivion, anonymously. Kinda nice, actually.

We're getting torrential rainstorms again. This is not good. I am positive that one of my sump pumps is going to fail - it's just a matter of which, when, then it's on to a major clean-up again. waiting, waiting, waiting . . .

Got a good one again today, off YouTube: Dean Martin singing a really nice version of On The Street Where You Live (here). Enjoy!


For convenience sake, here a running list of all of the links I've posted to YouTube in the past few days:

According to Plan, Carolyn Arends - Link
Because We've Ended As Lovers, Larry Carlton & Steve Lukather - Link
Cross Road Blues, Robert Johnson Link
Crossroads, Eric Clapton and Cream Link
Groucho Movie Clips - Link
Lookin' At The World Through A Windshield, Bill Kirchen - Link
My Funny Valentine, Kristin Chenoweth - Link
My Funny Valentine, Miles Davis - Link
On The Street Where You Live, Dean Martin - Link
Route 66, Asleep at The Wheel - Link
Shim, Sham, Shimmy (dance) to Tain't What You Do, Jimmy Lunceford - Link
St Louis Blues, Stephanie Trick & Paolo Alderighi - Link
Standing at the Crossroads, Elmore James - Link
Starts and Stripes Forever, United States Marine Band - Link
Sweet Georgia Brown, Wynton Marsalis/Mark O'Connor - Link
That's Jazz, Bing Crosby, Louis Armstrong & The All Stars - Link
Time to Blow, From That Thing You Do - Link

No comments: