Wednesday, July 26, 2017

A Rude Intrusion :: Day 16

This is my blog for day 16 of cancer treatment, Tuesday, 25 Jul 2017.

Slept well last night, and didn't get up until 6:00 AM. My radiation appointment is at 2:15 PM, as usual, and we've made an appointment to take Sally in for a follow-up at 11:00 AM.

Sally had teeth problems. She had four teeth pulled, and an infection which had caused her to bleed from the tongue and gums. Seemingly, she was better, but when we started giving her dry food again - even mixed in with soft food - she started bleeding once more. So I guess the "fix" will be wet food from now on. Hopefully, all will be well with her teeth and tongue.

Sally ended up staying at the vet so they could get a close look at the back of her mouth. We'll go back and get her later today. (Update: Sally has busted some stitches underneath her tongue and needs to have them re-sutured.) 

Used the Gelclair again this morning. It really does seem to soothe my mouth. Now all I need is to get the prescription approved.

Am watching Doctor Who this morning, with David Tennant as The Doctor, and Katherine Tate as companion Donna Noble, in an episode titled The Fires of Pompeii. I have to say, I really, really like this program. Science Fiction is my favorite genre to read, having started with Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlein and Arthur C. Clarke back as far as grade school. It might be said that those are the classics, but I also read Jules Verne - Around the World in 80 Days, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, Journey to the Center of the Earth - and Mary Shelley - Frankenstein - and while I must admit that I remember much more of the movies (Family Classics on WGN, anyone?), it was still science fiction. (Remember the scene in the movie Mysterious Island where the giant crab battles with the humans, then falls into a steam vent [or something like it], is cooked and then eaten by the humans who were fighting it?)

Am looking into refinancing. We can clip seven years off our mortgage (going to a 15-year fixed) and only increase what we're currently paying by $55 (as we're paying $100 extra in principal each month). Have spoken to a couple lenders through LendingTree, and have requested quotes through CostCo. Let me tell you, after the first two, CostCo is looking pretty good. Much, much lower fees, at least on the surface. Quicken Loans didn't even send me a breakdown of the closing costs - am I supposed to agree to taking a loan from them while blindfolded? We'll see where this goes . . .

I'll tell you where it goes (now at the start of the evening): lots of phone calls from lenders, all trying to get to me first. I'm deflecting the calls, and am calling them back one at a time - on my schedule.

Had two doctor visits today: radiation therapy and oncologist. The former for a treatment, the latter for a follow-up visit. And with the latter came a blood test, and all is good. Even my blood pressure, which is often elevated when I visit the doctor. Today: 126/80. Last visit it was even lower in the normal range. At radiation today, I firsts practiced the "puff out your cheeks" maneuver Dr. Mohideen told me about. It's supposed to help keep "stray electrons" from frying the inside of my cheek (which is getting fairly sore). I laid on the table in the radiation room, mask over my head, and puffed my cheeks out, breathing only through my nose for the full treatment (less than 15 minutes, perhaps ten). I really do think it helped!

I seem to be wordy today. Is that true?


From YouTube, today: I Love Being Here With You, as done by Diana Krall, featuring Anthony Wilson (guitar), Jeff Hamilton (drums) and John Clayton (bass), here.  Enjoy!


For convenience sake, here a running list of all of the links I've posted to YouTube in the past few days:

According to Plan, Carolyn Arends - Link
And I Love Her - Link
Because We've Ended As Lovers, Larry Carlton & Steve Lukather - Link
Cross Road Blues, Robert Johnson Link
Crossroads, Eric Clapton and Cream Link
Groucho Movie Clips - Link
I Love Being Here With You, Diana Krall - Link
Limbo Jazz, Coleman Hawkins and Duke Ellington - Link
Lookin' At The World Through A Windshield, Bill Kirchen - Link
My Funny Valentine, Kristin Chenoweth - Link
My Funny Valentine, Miles Davis - Link
On The Street Where You Live, Dean Martin - Link
Route 66, Asleep at The Wheel - Link
Shim, Sham, Shimmy (dance) to Tain't What You Do, Jimmy Lunceford - Link
St Louis Blues, Stephanie Trick & Paolo Alderighi - Link
Standing at the Crossroads, Elmore James - Link
Starts and Stripes Forever, United States Marine Band - Link
Sweet Georgia Brown, Wynton Marsalis/Mark O'Connor - Link
That's Jazz, Bing Crosby, Louis Armstrong & The All Stars - Link
Time to Blow, From That Thing You Do - Link
Zappa Medly, George Duke - Link

No comments: