Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Post 20 of 30: Gravy


This is another piece from the 1991 class, and, I have ta tell ya, it was a heckuva lotta fun to write! I was laughing myself silly while thinking up these lines. Got a roaring ovation when I read it in class, too.

Gravy
© 1991 by Mark Dopita

Gravy eats time, when cooking don't boil
or the pan will be black
the Gravy, like soil

Gravy don't dress, it's brought to you nude
for putting on meat
or your wife (but that's lewd)

Gravy dreams lightly, inside of your gut
and soon it adds pounds
to both sides of your butt

Gravy is born of spices and juice
a sprinkling of parsnip,
a carcass of moose

Gravy loves meals, at lunch and at dinner;
the folks who don't like it
they seem to stay thinner

Gravy hears footsteps, a rushing to places
and soon it is seen
on shirts, laps and faces

Gravy kills hunger, a longing for food
the flesh of dead veggies,
dead critters (some moo'ed)

Gravy for Bison, Gravy for Snake
the mashed are the mountains,
the Gravy, the lake

Gravy for Otter, Gravy for Bear
Gravy at food fights
stays thick in your hair

Gravy for Kitty, Gravy for Dog
Gravy for Wombat
and Weasel . . . Warthog!

Gravy for Elephant (I like it baked)
how many Gravies
does Heinz Ketchup make?

Gravy, I love it! Gravy it's great!
so please to forgive me
I'm off for my plate!

1 comment:

Justine said...

Rather disgusting.

But, like so many disgusting things, rather funny as well.

I think you've put me off gravy for a bit -- hope I recover by Thanksgiving!