Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Post 15 of 30: What is it like?


I'm reading The Year's Best Science Fiction, 24th annual edition. Specifically, a story by Bruce McAllister called Kin. Near the end of the story, which is about a 12-year old boy from Earth and an alien assassin, the by asks the question, "What is it like to kill?"

The answer is very well-written, but I thought at once that the question in the story is not the correct question for the answer. And posing this other question has forced me to think back to before I had even met my wife, before we were married, before we had children, before my wife became ill, before the older generation of my family had started to pass away. And then to think forward again to today.

The question: What is it like to love?

The answer: It is both more, and less, than one imagines it will be.

And so it is . . .

No comments: