Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Post 11 of 30: To Chicago Sports

With both the Cubs and the Sox in the playoffs this year, I thought it might be time to dust off this old gem. I wrote it for a Creative Writing class in the Fall of 2000.

To Chicago Sports
© 2000 by Mark Dopita

‘Twas nineteen-sixty-nine and I,
A skinny boy of thirteen, who
With loved Chicago Cubs did die
A little bit (I did not cry)
And with them I was through!

In sixty-nine the Bears were bad
(I think they lost all games but one).
I remember talking to my dad
Who said he just could not be sad
For pro teams; no, he cared for none.

Old Notre Dame, that was his team
And in the Twenties, by wireless set
Knute Rockne built a football dream.
They’d never lose; they reigned supreme!
Those glory days he’d not forget.

Now thirty years have gone, and more
Will pass by faster than we know.
The Bulls have closed and locked the door
Having tried to even up the score
Of champs on high, to teams brought low.

But though the Bears won football’s crown,
The Cubs and Hawks have only tried.
We worry who’ll next let us down
But if you win, you’ll own this town
And keep the sports fan pacified.

Though seek we may, we won’t soon find.
How many times must Chicago hear
That musty phrase, that wicked line
That echoes back to each one’s mind
“Just Wait Until Next Year!”

No comments: