Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Post 18 of 30: Draft of an (Old) Untitled Song

From circa 1977, after I had left Northern Illinois University, dropping out of college.

I didn't want to be a songwriter or a performer at that time, but wanted to write songs because . . . I don't know. Seems soooo long ago. And re-reading this after so many years gives me the feeling that I must have been somewhat depressed at that time.


Untitled
All Rights Reserved

If you realize what I say is not always true
Then do not ask me why
And if you understand the world as it is today
You won't wait long to die
Maybe I can't see
Maybe we're all blind
Or have I lost my mind?

Being alive today
You will learn some way
That time merely flutters by

If you realize what I do is not always right
Come be with me tonight
And if you understand the actions of my friends
You must have seen the light
Maybe I can't feel
Maybe I'm made of clay
I don't know what to say

Seeing the sites so fine
Daring to cross the line
Don't say "don't do that" . . . you might

If you realize emotion is up to me
You'll know I don't give a damn
And if you understand politician's schemes
Better leave now while you can
Maybe I don't know
Maybe you're not sure
I wish to hell some were

You know you've lost your head
Leaving men for dead
Reason escapes from every man

No comments: