Saturday, January 17, 2009

This is Winter 2008-2009


We have had quite a Winter . . . to date. Lots of snow, cold (with a capital "K", as my father would say), heavy rain (which washed the first substantial snowfall away) . . . But here it is 17 Jan 2009, and I really have yet to be cold.

I don't know why I don't get cold. Perhaps it's because I walk around barefoot a lot of times, and don't bother putting on shoes even to go outside in the garage. And even though some days are really cold - like last Thursday - they're still beautiful. We had clear blue skies, a full sun and just a slight breeze. When I walked in from working out at lunch time, I took a few very deep breaths of the cold air, and it felt great!

The sun makes all of the difference in the world, I think. It certainly makes me feel good about the days. I can't imagine what it would be like if it was overcast all the time as it is rumored to be in, say Seattle. (Sorry, Seattle, if this is un-true.)

Another thing - once it's stayed below zero for the daily high, it seems mighty warm when it gets back into the 20's. We went from -20 as the low Thursday night/Friday morning to a high in the 20's today - a 40+ degree swing. And it really felt warm this afternoon.

We'll see what happens in the coming few weeks, but so far this Winter, so good!

No comments: