Sunday, September 21, 2008

William Braun



My father-in-law passed away this past Wednesday. He will be missed by many. Here are my wife's remarks.

All of you here today who knew my dad loved my dad. He was just that kind of a guy. He was a great dad and taught us many things so that we would live a good life.

First, he taught me to take anything that's free. You never know . . . you might meed it some day, he would say. One day my young nephew Michael came out from the city with my sister. Dad said, “Come on Michael – I'll take you to lunch.”

When they returned we asked where they went. Michael replied, “We went to Sam's Club for the free samples for lunch. Then he bought me an ice cream bar.”

He also taught us to enjoy the little things in life. One of my best memories was when I was in college. He'd make a surprise visit on his way back from a business trip. If you knew my dad . . . he always enjoyed a drink, and in those days, of course I did too! He'd take my friends and I to his favorite bar at Eastern Illinois University – Chink's. It was a dirty, grungy, townie bar where you could only drink quarts of beer. But at the end of the night he could enjoy, “the best liver sausage sandwich that you ever did have.” Not many bars had that bonus!

He taught us to enjoy nature. His favorite of God's creations was the sun. No matter how sick he was he looked great with his beautiful suntan.

This summer he and I spent a lot of time sitting outside. He shared with me how flowers, trees, rain were such miracles. He appreciated their beauty.

He taught us to be strong and accept what came our way and not complain. He displayed this quality the most. No matter how sick he was or how much he endured he was always in “tip top shape.” One time, when I was teaching pre-school, he had just gotten out of the hospital. I had just finished telling everyone how bad off he was. All of a sudden my boss looked out the window and said, “Nancy, there's your dad!”

He walked in the class. He loved to see the kids! One of my little four-year olds ran to him, put out his hand to shake my dad's and said, “Hi there, Mrs. Dopita's dad!”

My dad then told everyone he was fine. He would also tell us, when something else was wrong with him, that his body was “an amazing specimen” and that it “just seems to overcome anything.” He helped me to accept my illness and not dwell on it; just do what you have to do.

He taught us not to be afraid to admit we were wrong. When mark and I decided to move to Island Lake twenty-four years ago he told us it was a big mistake – it would not be a good investment. He would come out a lot to visit his grandchildren and grew to enjoy the fun qualities and closeness of a small community. He moved here seven years ago to enjoy the rest of his life, because, “it is the most beautiful area you ever did see.”

My dad taught us to be a friend. Everyone he met was his good friend. No matter who they were, what they did or where they lived he would do anything for them. He always helped anyone – just as God wants us to do. He'd always say he'd take care of them and help them out – and he did.

He taught us to love our family. He loved my mom - and was married to her for fifty-four years. He loved his four children and eleven grandchildren so much! He was always anxious to share with people what we were doing - he was proud of all of us.

More than anything else he taught us to be happy with our lives the way they are. It doesn't matter what you have, where you live or how much money you have. Be happy when all of your family gathers together. Be happy to sit outside and enjoy the sun. Be happy a friend sent you a card. Be happy someone made you a special Kahlua cake, just because they know you like it! Be happy someone stopped by to see you. Be happy the birds are singing, the flowers are blooming, the seasons are changing. Be happy to enjoy God's people and creations!

That's how my dad lived his life every day and that's why I loved him so much – and why I'm sure you did, too!

Dad, I'll miss you, but I'll try my hardest to keep living as you did. You are - and always will be - my hero!

1 comment:

Justine said...

I do not think that any human being could ask for a better tribute than that. A life lived amidst such love is both blessed and blessing. Every condolence on your family's loss.