Thursday, September 25, 2008

Post 6 of 30: Trials

I have not truly faced many trials in my life. Not really. Not compared to many.

I have struggled to "get ahead", but we all do that.

I struggled at being a father, choosing to be a parent instead of a "friend" to my children. I've paid a price for that with one of mine, and while I would prefer to have been more understanding of him, I have to ask if that would have helped him, or would rather have simply enabled him to continue doing what I knew to be wrong. That's a question I'll have to ask at Judgement. But others have lost children altogether, to death or estrangement.

My wife has been ill for several years, but others have suffered the loss of a spouse.

We've had water come up from the sump wells into our basement, but others have lost their homes to floods.

No, I have not had to deal with tragedy; I have not truly been put through any great trials. The Lord has made it somewhat easy for me, even though, at times, I have felt depressed, and lonely and have felt that nobody truly cared.

But for those who have had to suffer, there is a Bible verse that will help you through difficult times:

"So be truly glad! There is wonderful joy ahead, even though it is necessary for you to endure many trials for a while. These trials are only to test your faith to show that it is strong and pure, it is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold - and your faith is far more precious to God than mere gold. So if your faith remains strong after being tried by fiery trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world."
- I Peter 1: 6-7 (NLT)

No comments: