Friday, August 11, 2017

A Rude Intrusion :: Day 33

This is my blog for day 33 of cancer treatment, Friday, 11 Aug 2017.

Free day today!

I started a new book, Stardust Memories, A Biography of 12 of America's Most Popular Songs. Went right to the chapter on My Funny Valentine. I've already posted two different versions of that song (see below), so I won't post another. But as I go through the book, I'll post versions of some of the other featured songs. They're all standards, so don't expect the Trogs, Jay and the Americans or even James Taylor (though he might just have done one or two of these).

Today is also the second round of the PGA Championship, so I'm keeping my eye on the leader board. Always fun to watch "the Majors".

Took a ride to the bank today, by myself. Felt good to get out in the car, and it was quite a nice morning: 72 degrees, more sun than clouds, car windows open listening to traffic noise. Got home and spoke with my daughter Amy via FaceTime. Nancy was already on when I got home. I guess we can say that we have video-phones, now, just like envisioned by science fiction writers years ago. Just find a way to digitize things and a good wire to send it over and you've got it.

Also went to the local Honda dealer, grabbing a CR-V brochure and a Pilot brochure, just to look through. I can't imagine buying a new car again - they're just too costly. Looked at a fully-loaded CR-V, a Touring model: $38,000 . . . really? When I graduated from high school, $38K was a house. Let's say they gave me $8K for my 2009 CR-V and paid all the taxes and fess, as well. Financing on $30K for five years is $538/month. Over $500 for 60 months? No thank you.

I also drove over to Wal-Mart and bought $2.38 worth of eyeglass parts (what are those things called that perch on your nose?), which the nice lady installed for me, too. (That's why I don't remember what they're called - I don't have the package. Or a memory.) I drove back home, thoroughly enjoying my moment in the sun. I did not realize how much I missed the freedom inherent in driving. Nancy has been doing all the chauffeur work for me for these last few weeks. God Bless her.

Was on the lookout for rubber pads. I have a habit of making a hole in the floor mats, where the heel of my foot rests against the floor. I couldn't find anything at Menards, Home Depot or Ace Hardware (all online), so went to Amazon.com. Found a 4-pack of anti-vibration pads, 4"x4"x3/8", rubber, $6.24. That should do the trick, I think. I'll drill four holes through the corners and join the pad to the floor mat using 7/16" or 1/2" bolts and flat nuts. That should hold the pads in place without raising the floor mat too much. Now just have to wait until I have something else to order from Amazon, which shouldn't be long!

Give me a day off and I'm going to start thinking . . .

Went through a few pictures and slides today, posting a few things to Facebook.

Got me to thinking . . .

I'd really like to go back and tell my family - grandpa, grandma, my mom, dad, uncle Bob and aunt Elaine, uncle Keith and aunt Dorothy, uncle Norman and aunt Larayne, uncle Bob and aunt Madeline - how fortunate I feel having grown up around such people. I know some of them had a drink or two too many once in a while; I know there were arguments. But I also know they loved each other, loved being around each other, loved each other's company and loved their children, nieces and nephews.

One incident is firmly rooted in my mind. My grandpa had just passed away, and we were going to the local funeral home. When we got there, my uncle Keith was coming down the steps, tears running down his face. He talked to us for a few minutes and told me something I'll never forget. He said, "I'm not crying for him. I'm crying for me." Those few words taught me more about grieving and loss, and how to handle it as a man, than anything else I've ever read or heard.

Here's a photo of uncle Keith, his father (I believe) and my dad (l-r), some time in the 1950's:


As uncle Keith spent a lot of his working days as a truck driver, in his honor, here's Truck Drivin' Man, first by Buck Owens - Link - and then by the Don Kelley Band out'a Nashville, with Johnny Hiland on guitar (smokin'!) - Link - and finally by Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen (the first version I heard) - Link.

Interesting note (to someone, I suppose): Don Kelley, the "house band" at Roberts Western World in Nashville, is my neighbor Lori's brother-in-law. Lori, Nancy and I took a trip to Nashville last year, and listened to the band for a couple of hours. It was a great time! Stop in a Robert's and have a grilled cheese and PBR. I think it was all of $5.00.

I'm posting all three versions because, 1) I like the Buck Owens original version; 2) Johnny Hiland does a great job on the song; 3) Commander Cody's version is the one that hits home for me. So there. Complaints can be sent to the author (he smiles).


For convenience sake, here a running list of all of the links I've posted to YouTube in the past few days:

According to Plan, Carolyn Arends - Link
And I Love Her - Link
Apollo 11 launch - Link
Back In You Own Back Yard, Al Jolson - Link
Because We've Ended As Lovers, Larry Carlton & Steve Lukather - Link
Blessings, Laura Story - Link
Comfortably Numb, Pink Floyd - Link
Cross Road Blues, Robert Johnson Link
Crossroads, Eric Clapton and Cream Link
Cry Me A River, Joe Cocker - Link
Cry Me A River, Diana Krall - Link
Gentle On My Mind, Glen Campbell - Link
Groucho Movie Clips - Link
I Love Being Here With You, Diana Krall - Link
In the Cool, Cool, Cool of the Evening, Bing Crosby and Jane Wyman - Link
In the Cool, Cool, Cool of the Evening, Bing Crosby and Jane Wyman, from the movie Here Comes the Groom  - Link
Karn Evil 9, 1st Impression, Part 1, An International Collaboration - Link
Limbo Jazz, Coleman Hawkins and Duke Ellington - Link
Living in the Past, Jethro Tull - Link
Lookin' At The World Through A Windshield, Bill Kirchen - Link
Montana/We Are Not Alone, Univ. of Montana Percussion Ensemble - Link
My Funny Valentine, Kristin Chenoweth - Link
My Funny Valentine, Miles Davis - Link
On The Street Where You Live, Dean Martin - Link
Powdermilk Biscuit Break, Garrison Keillor, et al - Link
Questions 67 and 68, Chicago - Link
Route 66, Asleep at The Wheel - Link
She Used To Be Mine, Sara Bareilles - Link
Shim, Sham, Shimmy (dance) to Tain't What You Do, Jimmy Lunceford - Link
Sisters, Bette Midler and Linda Ronstadt - Link
Sisters, from White Christmas - Link
Sixteen Tons, Tennessee Ernie Ford - Link
St Louis Blues, Stephanie Trick & Paolo Alderighi - Link
Standing at the Crossroads, Elmore James - Link
Starts and Stripes Forever, United States Marine Band - Link
Sweet Georgia Brown, Wynton Marsalis/Mark O'Connor - Link
That's Jazz, Bing Crosby, Louis Armstrong & The All Stars - Link
Time, Pink Floyd - Link
Time to Blow, From That Thing You Do - Link
Truck Drivin' Man, Buck Owens - Link
Truck Drivin' Man, the Don Kelley Band - Link
Truck Drivin' Man, Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen - Link
War, Edwin Starr - Link
Your Love Is My Saving GraceKristin Chenoweth Link
Zappa Medly, George Duke - Link

No comments: