Thursday, August 10, 2017

A Rude Intrusion :: Day 32

This is my blog for day 32 of cancer treatment, Thursday, 10 Aug 2017.

I woke at 4:14 AM today, to the sound of the sliding door being opened (from the inside). Sally, our Pug, had awakened Nancy, who was sleeping on the couch in the family room, never having come to bed last night. I guess Sally had to GO, though she had been out with me for the last time at 9:30 PM.

When Sally came back in, Nancy and I both climbed back into bed, but I laid there for a while before I feel asleep, waking again just after 7:00 AM. I did a tube feeding this morning, and had a glass of apple juice. (I can still take liquids by mouth, though my throat is pretty sore.)

I'm noticing some traces of blood when I sneeze or blow my nose. I guess my throat is getting pretty beat up. Will have to ask the doctor about that this afternoon, at the radiation treatment. Today's doctoring includes getting fluids at the oncologists office at noon, and radiation at 2:15 PM.

Hey! I'm getting a day off! My radiologist told me I didn't have to come in Friday (though I will have to have a treatment on Mon, 28 Aug 2017) as he was updating the radiation profile for the last two weeks, which are called "boost". This is where they focus more on the tumor sites than doing a wide-field treatment. I'm hoping that my throat will start to heal, then, as my tumors are on the base of my tongue, underneath a tonsil and in a lymph node. But we'll see. Still, it will be nice to know I don't have to go anywhere tomorrow.

I have some additions to the food list I shared yesterday (things I'm looking forward to eating again):

  • Jalapeno-stuffed queen olives
  • Paisley Farms four-bean salad, if just for the sweet, sweet taste of the vinegar swirling around my mouth
  • Polish sausage or smoked sausage with sauerkraut and boiled white potatoes, with the potatoes thoroughly buttered, salted and peppered
  • Buttered peas and sweet corn
  • A Portillo's jumbo dog with mustard, onion and "easy" relish, as well as a Chicago-style tamale ("a tasty blend of enriched cornmeal, ground beef, garlic and seven secret spices all rolled into one"). What's more, you can buy them here!

Agree or disagree with me, there are the things I'm looking forward to. Anybody have any suggestions of their own?

Now, let's discuss the Korea situation. Really? Yes, really. Does North Korea really think it can attack the United States and get away with it? If I was President (and some may hope I never get to be), I would do the following:

  1. Make sure North Korea knows that if it attacks the US in any way, shape or form all options are on the table: conventional, chemical, biological and nuclear. And we will destroy them . . . all. I would use a third-party to deliver this message (Norway, Sweden, et al), not the UN and not the media. However, I would also make sure that they know we can talk at any time they choose. 
  2. Tell China to do everything they can to stop what's-his-name, the short little bastard running that country - they only get one chance - and we will not be responsible for the nuclear fallout that moves over Chine if we desire to launch nukes.
  3. Prepare an attack against North Korea that will do the following: destroy, as much as possible, the nuclear weapon and missile-launch sites, military bases of all kinds, their forward-deployed troops (against South Korea, that is), and various other sites of importance, such as bridges, dams, power plants, and, especially, sites inside Pyongyang, so everyone (including those in the military who may have a chance to stop him can) knows we are serious. 
  4. Prepare a naval attack plan to destroy North Korea naval facilities and submarines. Their surface craft have quite limited capabilities and are old. Our fast attack submarines should have the capability to track and destroy their aging sub fleet, supposedly numbering around 20 1950's-era Soviet style Romeo class vessels and 50 "midget submarines".  
  5. Attack only if and when North Korea attacks first. 
  6. Move the American troops into South Korea ASAP. Concentrate on defending South Korea from whatever attacks North Korea may attempt by their ground forces. 
  7. Continue the attack for days and weeks, ramping up the amount and type of munitions we are dropping each day. Give them no rest. They will capitulate or be totally destroyed. 
  8. Open a diplomatic channel to the North and let them know we're listening. 

Now, if we're afraid that North Korea will deploy and attack South Korea or Japan with nuclear weapons, then we should do so to them first. Isn't it time to stop wasting time with this little bastard, and time to show the world that little bastards like him will not hold the world hostage? I know it's not very Christian, but did the Lord ever tell us that we need to commit suicide?

Alternately, we can simply laugh at him, laugh some more, and constantly make fun of the little bastard over all of our news channels.

Naturally, today's music video from YouTube is War, by Edwin Starr - Link.

But wait! Today is a bonus day! Here is Living in the Past, Jethro Tull, from the Tonight show in 1993 - Link. One of my favorite bands of all time!

For convenience sake, here a running list of all of the links I've posted to YouTube in the past few days:

According to Plan, Carolyn Arends - Link
And I Love Her - Link
Apollo 11 launch - Link
Back In You Own Back Yard, Al Jolson - Link
Because We've Ended As Lovers, Larry Carlton & Steve Lukather - Link
Blessings, Laura Story - Link
Comfortably Numb, Pink Floyd - Link
Cross Road Blues, Robert Johnson Link
Crossroads, Eric Clapton and Cream Link
Cry Me A River, Joe Cocker - Link
Cry Me A River, Diana Krall - Link
Gentle On My Mind, Glen Campbell - Link
Groucho Movie Clips - Link
I Love Being Here With You, Diana Krall - Link
In the Cool, Cool, Cool of the Evening, Bing Crosby and Jane Wyman - Link
In the Cool, Cool, Cool of the Evening, Bing Crosby and Jane Wyman, from the movie Here Comes the Groom  - Link
Karn Evil 9, 1st Impression, Part 1, An International Collaboration - Link
Limbo Jazz, Coleman Hawkins and Duke Ellington - Link
Living in the Past, Jethro Tull - Link
Lookin' At The World Through A Windshield, Bill Kirchen - Link
Montana/We Are Not Alone, Univ. of Montana Percussion Ensemble - Link
My Funny Valentine, Kristin Chenoweth - Link
My Funny Valentine, Miles Davis - Link
On The Street Where You Live, Dean Martin - Link
Powdermilk Biscuit Break, Garrison Keillor, et al - Link
Questions 67 and 68, Chicago - Link
Route 66, Asleep at The Wheel - Link
She Used To Be Mine, Sara Bareilles - Link
Shim, Sham, Shimmy (dance) to Tain't What You Do, Jimmy Lunceford - Link
Sisters, Bette Midler and Linda Ronstadt - Link
Sisters, from White Christmas - Link
Sixteen Tons, Tennessee Ernie Ford - Link
St Louis Blues, Stephanie Trick & Paolo Alderighi - Link
Standing at the Crossroads, Elmore James - Link
Starts and Stripes Forever, United States Marine Band - Link
Sweet Georgia Brown, Wynton Marsalis/Mark O'Connor - Link
That's Jazz, Bing Crosby, Louis Armstrong & The All Stars - Link
Time, Pink Floyd - Link
Time to Blow, From That Thing You Do - Link
War, Edwin Starr - Link
Your Love Is My Saving GraceKristin Chenoweth Link
Zappa Medly, George Duke - Link

No comments: