Monday, August 7, 2017

A Rude Intrusion :: Day 28

This is my blog for day 28 of cancer treatment, Sunday, 6 Aug 2017.

I guess I finally feel like myself, mostly, after recovering from chemotherapy last Tuesday. I awoke early, and read more in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. It just seems to keep going, but I think I'm almost done.

One of the things I'd like to talk about today is how dehumanized I feel by this whole thing I'm going through. But that will have to wait, as I have had company today, and then ended up getting sick. Had a trip to the ER last night with nausea, caused by dehydration. Got home at 3:00 AM Monday morning. Poop!

(I had already lined this up before the troubles began.) Today's YouTube music comes from two different artists, singing versions of the same song: Cry Me A River. First, the very-1970's Joe Cocker version (here) in all its wretched excess; next, the Diana Krall version (here), with her finest torch-singing. I prefer the latter, certainly. Which do you prefer? By the way, the are a thousand versions in between these two, I'd bet.


For convenience sake, here a running list of all of the links I've posted to YouTube in the past few days:

According to Plan, Carolyn Arends - Link
And I Love Her - Link
Back In You Own Back Yard, Al Jolson - Link
Because We've Ended As Lovers, Larry Carlton & Steve Lukather - Link
Blessings, Laura Story - Link
Comfortably Numb, Pink Floyd - Link
Cross Road Blues, Robert Johnson Link
Crossroads, Eric Clapton and Cream Link
Cry Me A River, Joe Cocker - Link
Cry Me A River, Diana Krall - Link
Groucho Movie Clips - Link
I Love Being Here With You, Diana Krall - Link
In the Cool, Cool, Cool of the Evening, Bing Crosby and Jane Wyman - Link
In the Cool, Cool, Cool of the Evening, Bing Crosby and Jane Wyman, from the movie Here Comes the Groom  - Link
Karn Evil 9, 1st Impression, Part 1, An International Collaboration - Link
Limbo Jazz, Coleman Hawkins and Duke Ellington - Link
Lookin' At The World Through A Windshield, Bill Kirchen - Link
Montana/We Are Not Alone, Univ. of Montana Percussion Ensemble - Link
My Funny Valentine, Kristin Chenoweth - Link
My Funny Valentine, Miles Davis - Link
On The Street Where You Live, Dean Martin - Link
Powdermilk Biscuit Break, Garrison Keillor, et al - Link
Questions 67 and 68, Chicago - Link
Route 66, Asleep at The Wheel - Link
She Used To Be Mine, Sara Bareilles - Link
Shim, Sham, Shimmy (dance) to Tain't What You Do, Jimmy Lunceford - Link
Sisters, Bette Midler and Linda Ronstadt - Link
Sisters, from White Christmas - Link
Sixteen Tons, Tennessee Ernie Ford - Link
St Louis Blues, Stephanie Trick & Paolo Alderighi - Link
Standing at the Crossroads, Elmore James - Link
Starts and Stripes Forever, United States Marine Band - Link
Sweet Georgia Brown, Wynton Marsalis/Mark O'Connor - Link
That's Jazz, Bing Crosby, Louis Armstrong & The All Stars - Link
Time, Pink Floyd - Link
Time to Blow, From That Thing You Do - Link
Zappa Medly, George Duke - Link

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mark - I'm so sad that eating has become so difficult. We have always (both) taken such joy from food that I am afraid of it becoming something you'll learn to hate during this treatment time. I hope you can keep your spirits (and your fork) up during the end of your scheduled treatments, if for no other reason than to avoid any further tube issues. I miss you my friend - I wish I could be there to see you in person. Kel