Wednesday, July 12, 2017

A Rude Intrusion :: Day 3

This is my blog for day three of cancer treatment. Yesterday I got my first infusion of chemotherapy. Today will bring a dose of fluids and another radiation treatment.

I have to admit that I don't feel really good today. Have a bit of a headache, am sluggish and tired. I did sleep well last night, at least. Just to be certain, I'm taking an anti-nausea pill. Whether it's the coffee or the chemo, I don't know. But I have the pills. so I'm taking one. and it's worked!

One thing I'd like to comment on is the taste of my dinner last night. Sweet Baby Ray's barbecue sauce over pulled pork (pork shoulder slow-cooked in the crockpot), potato salad, bean salad and applesauce. Mott's applesauce. Not the natural, not the cinnamon. Just good old applesauce - tasty! SBR's sauce is good, too, and with the flavor of slow-cooked pork, well, it's hard to beat. The potato salad was from CostCo, was quite mayonnaise-y, if there is such a word. (Perhaps I should write something like, "The flavor of the potato salad was distinctly that of mayonnaise. So much mayonnaise that one had to wonder if there was potato in the potato salad.") And the bean salad, four beans. onions and that zing of vinegar!

Now, I write all of the above because I may lose my taste buds. and if I do, even if for a while, I want to remember what good food tastes like. People who have been through this say that everything will taste like metal. And some of the people in the support group have lost taste for years. some folks came back after a few months, though.

As I said, I'm back at the oncologist's office today, at noon, to get 1000 ml of IV fluid. Be here about an hour. Then it's on to a radiation treatment at 2:15 PM. Fewer people here than yesterday, but it did thin out a lot by mid-afternoon.

Weight this morning was 271.6! That's up almost five pounds! I guess that's what you get when you take in all that liquid. I had at least eight 16.9 oz bottles of water, two 1000 ml bags of IV fluid and another large bag with the chemo drug. Didn't get much in the way of walking in. Plus, I ate well. So I guess there's an explanation. They didn't seem phased by this at the radiation therapist, so I'm not going to worry.

So now radiation is done and I'm back home. I have 2 1/2 more hours to put in for work and that will call it a day. (I'm working through the first two weeks of radiation and chemo, then will be taking short-term disability.)

Bottom line: still feeling good, after a bit of a slow start this morning.

Wanted to post something fun again today. So I'll add a link to a poem I wrote about our dog Bo (here). One of my friends commented that she read it last night, and thought it was good. So have a read, if you wish.

And, of course, since I've been listening to a good bit of music, I have to leave you with a song, too! How about "Route 66", as done by Asleep At The Wheel. Enjoy if here!


No comments: