Friday, August 24, 2012

Surgery :: Post 01


Okay, sports fans . . . here's the first post about my upcoming bilateral hip replacement surgery. It's scheduled for Tue, 11 Sep 2012. I went to an internist this morning for a pre-surgical check-up, and, providing my blood work (and other tests) don't come back with any abnormalities, I've been cleared for take-off, so to speak. (I could make a joke about the first step in surgery being a take-off - taking off your clothes, that is - but I'll hold off.)

The run-up to surgery has included two classes - one at the doctor's office regarding the procedure and another at the hospital about the orthopedic floor, physical therapy and the rest of the support network. I've also given two pints of my own blood (with a third donation coming next week) which will be held in reserve in case I need it during surgery. Finally, there's been the aforementioned doctor's visit. It's been busy.

I'm also trying to leave work in good shape, as I'm the sole support person for three areas.

I have certain exercises to do each day, too, stretches that I'll be doing post-surgery as well.

Eighteen days to go!


1 comment:

Sue and Paul said...

You're in our prayers, Mark! I know you'll do great!